Our hours are subject to change.
The following reflect updates as of September of 2020.
Adoption Hours: By Appointment Only. Maximum of four people per appointment.
Due to high demand and safety procedures, there is currently a long wait time for adoption appointments. We apologize for any inconvenience. At this time, we do not accept appointments more than 30 days in advance. As a result, you may not see any available appointments! Check back soon, as new appointments open daily.
Tree House is closed on the following holidays:
Memorial Day; Independence Day – July 4th; Labor Day; The day before Thanksgiving – closes at 3:00 p.m.; Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Eve; Christmas Day ; New Year’s Eve; New Year’s Day
Location: 7225 N. Western Ave., just north of Touhy
Parking: Visitor parking is available in our on-site lot. Ample street parking is also available near the shelter
Public transportation: CTA 49B bus (north and southbound) stops at the corner of Western and Touhy – steps from our shelter
Adoption Process and Requirements
Requirements to Adopt from Tree House
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Provide a valid ID with current address (if address is not current, provide other proof of residency)
- Children under 12 years old are recommended to meet the cat and be present for adoption to help find the best match
Adopter’s Cat Receives
- Microchip (in case your cat is ever lost)
- Veterinary Exam
- Vaccinations (age-appropriate)
- Spay or Neuter Surgery (as needed)
- 30 days of Free Pet Insurance
- Temporary Carrier (to Take Your Cat Home)
- Free Beginner’s Bag of Merrick Cat Food
- Coupon for Smart Cat litter
- Senior Cats (more than 9 years old): $75
- Adult Cats: $100
- Kittens (less than 6 months old): $150
- Kitten Pair: $225
Tree House is committed to our cats (and their adopters) for their lifetime. If you adopt a Tree House cat and discover it is not a good fit, or if you have an emergency, or your circumstances change, we are here to help. Throughout the life of your pet, we will work to help you find solutions, even if that means your cat needs to return to Tree House.
Tips for Taking Home Your New, Furry Friend
Before taking your cat home, it is best to have the following in place:
- A local veterinarian for on-going cat care
- A litter box, litter, and litter scoop
- Wet and/or dry food as advised by the Tree House clinic
- Any medications the cat may need
- A bed for the cat
- A toy or two
Tree House has pre-packaged Kitty Care Packages available for purchase on site! Each one is $65 and all proceeds go towards helping more cats find homes.